Thursday, December 2, 2010

My Chronicle of Nokia Phones - 2003-Present (UPDATE)


2003 - Nokia 3595 on AT&T - Nokia My first phone I received for Christmas - it didn't last too long, because a shelf fell off the wall and landed on it - screen went dead

2004 - Nokia 6010 on T-Mobile - Bought it online for about $60, and the great thing was I got free WAP access through T-Mobile, so checking basketball scores during March Madness was great. Sold it back online for about $50 because T-Mobile had spotty coverage in my new hometown in Arkansas.


2005 - Nokia 6030 on AT&T - went over to my dad's plan and got this phone - sadly, another phone that didn't last long. Fell out of my pocket at a restaurant parking lot. Luckily the restaurant found it, but the screen was white. Barely made calls anymore. On to the next one ...

2006 - Nokia 3120 on AT&T - found this gem online and loved every bit of it. The best feature phone I've ever used. I am still not sure why I got rid of it, but I did.


2007 - Nokia 6030 on AT&T - Another great phone, one I kept the longest thus far. Keypad was very nice, and the loudest, clearest sounding cell phone I've ever had. Gave it to my girlfriend, who is now my wife, to replace the exact phone which she had. 


2008 - Nokia E61 on AT&T - It was my time for a QWERTY keyboard on a phone. I was trying to decide between the Nokia E61 and the HTC Dash. Both had WiFi, both QWERTY, but only one had the Nokia emblem on it. The large screen, well-spaced keyboard, and great battery life was wonderful. Still the best screen I've seen on a non-touch smartphone.

2009 - Nokia E71 on AT&T - Love this phone. Even until this day, I still get the maximal usage out of Nokia's most popular smartphone to date. LED flash, 3G, WiFi, multi-tasking, Ovi Store, Exchange email, wireless printing, expandable storage, and the list goes on - the most high-tech phone I had used at the time. 


2010 - Nokia 6350 on AT&T wireless - this is a phone I ordered with my new AT&T wireless service, so this is not a phone I have used before, and serves as a spare phone, but still a phone I have purchased and I do indeed still have this phone.



2010 - Nokia C3 on AT&T - Phone I bought for my wife. I am not sure if I can call this a feature phone, since it has WiFi and a slew of smartphone features, but still a solid phone for a very affordable price.


2010 - ???

I am still in limbo on what my next phone should be, although I am pretty confident that it will be a Nokia. Their current lineup and soon-to-be-released phones have definitely caught my eye, but I am not 100% on one device yet. But, I do have preferences:

Nokia N8 - 12 MP camera, largest sensor ever put inside a cellular phone, Xenon flash, 720p video recording, HDMI output with Dolby Digital sound, 3.5" capacitive touch screen with Gorilla Glass, AMOLED display, 5 different colors, 16GB on-board memory expandable to 48 GB via MicroSD, penta-band 3G radio, Bluetooth 3.0, USB on-the-go, free turn-by-turn navigation through Ovi Maps, and way too many others to list. Definitely number 1 on my list, but at $549.00 unlocked, it is a steep price.

Nokia C7 - 8 MP camera, dual LED flash, 720p video recording, 3.5" capacitive touch screen with Gorilla Glass, AMOLED display, 3 different colors, 8GB on-board memory expandable to 40GB via MicroSD, free turn-by-turn navigation through Ovi Maps, and although not as many hardware features, the software is the same, and the screen size as well. With a $449.00 unlocked price, this is more affordable, although missing out on such an amazing camera paired with HDMI out, this is slightly lower on my list.



Nokia E7 - Comparable to the N8, except a 4" display, slide-out screen reveals a keyboard, 8MP LED flash camera instead of 12MP Xenon. Also, the 16GB on-board memory is not expandable, and this device, although unreleased at this time, is scheduled to be more expensive than the N8. The screen and the keyboard are selling points, but without the expandable storage and with a steeper price, this is definitely lower on my list, but still a possibility.

UPDATED


2011 - Nokia N8 on AT&T - I made my decision near the end of February to purchase the N8 after I saw a deal on Newegg. Although the software feels dated more and more everyday, it is very capable of my needs, the camera is absolutely stunning, and the battery life is awesome. Customizations are endless, and although I still struggle with a software keyboard, this is still a stellar device. 

No comments: